Manchester Victorians LLC
Home Plan Resources
Manchester Victorians designs and builds authentic period homes utilizing a variety of resources. We typically approach a project by first developing the interior layout and flow to meet the customer’s requirements and preferences. Once the desired interior layout is known, we can design the exterior in one of the following ways:
1. Develop an original period design utilizing authentic massing, proportions and details gathered from historical references.
2. Develop a design from a photograph or portrait of an existing home.
3. Develop a design from historic 19th century plan books, modifying the interior and exterior layout to meet customer preferences and current building codes.
4. Develop a design from authentic style home plans prepared by current historical architects, either constructing the home as designed, or by modifying it to customer’s preferences.
Historic Plan Resources
Manchester Victorians has identified the following sources for authentic period home plans, listed first by Internet resources, then current printed publications of historic plans, and then original 19th century plan book reproductions.
We have chosen seven primary Internet resources for your consideration, wherein the plans meet the design and build objectives of Manchester Victorians.
1. Authentic Historical Designs LLC/Historical Replications, Inc.
These companies have an excellent selection of Queen Anne, Italianate, Georgian, Federal, Williamsburg, Greek Revival, Dutch, Charleston and saltbox designs in an assortment of collections that recreate the rich architectural legacy of our nation's early days. Layouts and views are available on-line with some photographic samples.
2. Parkersville Collection
This company specializes in historic country houses, cottages, and bungalows in Victorian, Greek Revival, and Colonial styles.
3. Classic Colonial Homes, Inc.
Traditional colonial New England designs are available from Classic Colonial Homes. If you like traditional capes, saltboxes, colonials and federals, this is an excellent site.
4. Russell Swinton Oatman Design Associates, Inc.
This company also specializes in Georgian, Federal, and Cape Cod designs. They are also licensed to reproduce authentic designs from Old Sturbridge Village homes in Massachusetts.
5. McKie Roth Design
McKie Roth Design provides building plans for early New England style homes, including saltbox and cape designs.
6. Country Plans by Natalie
Country Plans by Natalie offers house plans in Southern farmhouse and primitive cottage styles with interesting touches. This site provides some unique designs.
7. New Urban Classics - BSA Home Plans
A good variety of Georgian, Greek Revival, Italianate and Queen Anne styles, particularly designed for narrow urban lots - good for infill in historic districts.
Guest Bedroom in Recently Completed Queen Anne Home
Manchester Victorians also offers the following secondary Internet Resources, which provide additional options for period home plans.
1. Peek Design Group
Early American and Colonial designs.
2. Stephen Fuller House Plans
Classic American designs including Georgian and Greek Revival.
3. Original Home Plans, LLC
A range of colonial and cape designs.
4. Princeton Plans Press
Princeton Plans Press has developed a collection of “History Influenced Houses” for Country Living magazine. To date, over nine hundred houses representing architectural designers from every geographical region of the United States have graced the pages of Country Living. Designs include Carriage House, Colonial, Victorian, and Farmhouse.
5. Global House Plans
A plan “supermarket”, but having some good examples of period homes. See in particular these links to Greek Revival designs.
6. Barn Plans
A site specializing in old-style barn plans.
7. Storybook Homes
This site has several architectural cottage design plans.
8. The Bungalow Company
Period-inspired new old home plans.
A Classic Georgian Design Home in Bardstown, Kentucky A Second Empire Home in Lexington, Kentucky
General Plan "Warehouses"
These web sites provide a large assortment of standard home plans, which can be sorted by different key words, including terms such as "Victorian" or "Georgian".
The Victorian House
House Mouse Victorian Plans
Family Home Plans
Architectural House Plans
Current Print Resources
Manchester Victorians maintains a library of printed home plan publications available for our customers’ use in home design and selection. These include:
Home Planners, Inc.
1. Victorian Dream Homes, 2nd Edition
2. Farm Houses and Country Plans, 1st Edition
3. Country Houses, 1st Edition
4. Two-Story Homes, 1st Edition
1. Country Home Plans, 1st Edition
Hanley-Wood Home Planners
1. The American Collection: Colonial Homes, 1st Edition
2. The American Collection: Victorian, 1st Edition
3. Premier House Plans, Fall 2006
Historical Replications, Inc.
1. Victorian and Farm Houses
19th Century Publications - Plan Books
Manchester Victorians also can provide its customers with access to the following reproductions of 19th century plans.
1. George F. Barber, Victorian Cottage Architecture, 1891
2. A. J. Bicknell & Company, Victorian Architectural Details
3. William T. Comstock, Victorian Domestic Architectural Plans and Details
The following web sites are also sources for purchasing reproductions of 19th Century home plan collections.
Copyright 2006-2010 Manchester Victorians LLC